Monday, April 4, 2011

Clicker Training

The use of a clicker is a great way to train a dog and to teach a specific behavior.
I heard about the clicker training method during Seamus' dog training class.
At the beginning, I was kind of skeptical, but I decided to give it a try. In the first few lessons I just introduced the "click" sound to the dog. I just clicked and immediately gave Seamus a small food treat. By doing this, he associated the sound of the clicker with a yummy reward. After doing this for few days, I then followed with the introduction of a specific command, followed by a "click" and the food treat.
I was very surprised on how fast Seamus was responding to this method. In few weeks, Seamus learned the basic commands.
Seamus is so well trained now, to the point that I just stand by him and when he hears the sound of the clicker, he immediately sits and when he hears the next "click" he does the "down" command. I don't even have to say the command!
What is best of this method is that I don't have to say the specific command over and over again in order for him to obey.


No comments:

Post a Comment